Sunday, April 29, 2007

Arrival...

25 April 2007

Well, I finally made it up here! I am staying in a Forest Service cabin on Hirz Bay that is great. There are three bedrooms, a nice kitchen, a large deck, and hot water! It is really quite an ideal field set-up. I’ve been told the main problem I may encounter is bears sniffing around for food, but it hasn’t been too much of a problem at the cabin in the past. And as long as the bears stay outside and away from my truck, I’m ok with them!

This evening, I walked down to the lake (about 5 minutes away) and sat on a dock to soak my feet in the lake. The evening temperatures are very pleasant here and it’s nice to sit outside and enjoy the sun (though the mosquitos detract from the ambience a bit). Amazingly, I also get cell phone reception at the cabin. The open expanse of water must act as a corridor for cell signals because I don’t get service anywhere else around here unless I am in the I5 corridor. All in all, a great start to my field season!

No comments: