Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sieving


28 April 2007

I learned how to sieve today! We found a great spot next to McCloud Bridge and spent the day sieving the material from yesterday. My dad made me a wonderful set of sieves and a great stand with adjustable legs. Everything worked really well and sieving is pretty fun because you can see the bones emerge as you are running water through the sieves. Based on the material from one day of excavation, we already have a species list that includes 16 species! We found mammals, birds, salamanders, snakes, frogs, and fish. It will be interesting to see what the lower levels reveal!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Glad things are finally underway.
Are you looking for oysters?

Unknown said...

I'm jealous. Save some work for me.

Jessica said...

No oysters yet, no gold, no human artefacts! Lots of work...